Job Title: Nurse Assistant
Reports To: Summit Surgical Supervisor
Exposure Determination: Exposed
OSHA Category: I
Position Summary: Assists patients with activities of daily living, provides basic nursing care, and assists in maintenance of a safe and clean environment under the direction and supervision of the registered nurse in charge of the team and/or unit.
Nurse Assistant Essential Job Functions:
- Provides basic nursing care to non-acutely ill patients within the nursing assistant’s scope of practice that includes actions that meet psychosocial needs and physical needs.
- Demonstrates performance reflecting the initiative and responsibility expected of a nursing assistant.
- Performs other duties as assigned within the nurse assistant’s scope of practice
- Assists in admission, transfer, and discharge of patient.
- Performs basic patient care responsibilities considering needs specific to the standard of care for the patient’s age.
- Notifies appropriate licensed personnel when patient complains of pain or if there is a change in the paitent’s condition.
- Demonstrates ability to communicate to the RN any observed changes in patient status and responses. Maintains awareness of the needs of the pediatric, geriatric, and general population.
- Demonstrates ability to assist with feeding patients and maintaining fluid balance with technique appropriate for patient’s age and physical condition. Providing daily oral care, bathing, changing bedding and assisting patients in ambulation.
- Provides explanation to patient and family prior to administering care to patient; answers questions within scope of practice.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to supervisor, coworkers, and physicians.
- Consults other departments as appropriate to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient’s needs.
- Provides care appropriate to condition and age of the patient including pediatric, geriatric, and general population.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Demonstrates an ability to assist physicians with procedures and performs services requiring technical and manual skills under the direction of an RN.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized, and function under stressful situations.
- Responds to patient in emergency or physically distressful situations.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity.
- Interacts professionally with patient/family and involves them in the formation of the plan of care.
- Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies and completes within the shift.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Designates basic knowledge of disease conditions.
- Medical and surgical asepsis is carried out during treatments and special conditions.
Additional Essential Job Functions:
- Prepare rooms for admission
- Perform vital signs per physician order
- Monitor and record I&O
- Empty catheter at end of shift and record results
- Answer call light in timely manner and makes sure call light is in reach
- Provide fresh water to patients every 4 hours.
- Provides personal hygiene to patients & assists with ADLs
- Answer the phone and manage call as indicated
- Ambulate or reposition patient as directed
- Change linen and assure patient room is cleaned
- Discard trash and soiled linen at end of shift
- Admit and discharge patients per facility policy
- Prepare meals and snacks for patients and meals for physicians
- Performs blood sugar checks as ordered
- Start and empty dishwasher
- Clean kitchen and mop floor daily
- Clean refrigerator, kitchen drawers, and cabinets monthly
- Date and check for outdates per regulation
Nurse Assistant Secondary Job Functions:
- Provides innovative input into the development of the hospital environments and its processes
- Participates in facility performance improvement activities
- Complies with policies and procedures to comply with State and Federal regulations
Nurse Assistant Essential Qualifications:
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Current BLS certification or ability to obtain within 3 months of employment
- Maintains regulatory requirements and completes annual education requirements
- Attends the required annual education program
- Can interface with computers effectively
- Learns new concepts and procedures quickly
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage time and appropriately prioritize tasks and responsibilities
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a professional and courteous manner with co-workers, vendors and other people in contact with
- Adheres to dress code standards
- Ability to perform lab testing per lab policies and procedures
- Ability to interpret results of test take appropriate action on test results
- Knowledge of storage, care and use of each specific cartridge
- Knowledge of quality control testing monthly or with each new shipment and proficient testing
This position works in varied environments including medical office, acute care facilities, operating rooms and recovery rooms, as well as potential for off premise work and travel. Regularly exposed to patients’ conditions and some unpleasant sights, various odors, noise, bodily fluid and communicable diseases. Constant interaction with co-workers, patients, vendors and general public, which may involve individuals who are angry, upset or ill.
This position is primarily an action position requiring walking, bending, stooping, crawling, squatting and lifting up to 50 pounds. At times must lift up to 75 pounds. Potential for long periods of standing. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with the computer and other facility operating systems. Must have auditory acuity to effectively interact with patients and public.
Regular schedule is based on patient volume and surgical schedule. Schedule is set by the Nursing Management prior to shift’s start.
Additional Preferred Experience:
Minimum of one (1) year work experience as a Nurse Assistant
OSHA Category I:
Required to perform tasks which involve exposure to blood, body fluid or tissue.
This position requires access to Protected Health Information (PHI). The information accessed is limited to the minimum necessary PHI required to perform the employee’s job (i.e. for claim processing, patient admissions, etc.). PHI is accessed through various computer applications, direct contact with the patient or family members and/or contact with hospital departments with whom interaction is necessary.
The employee complies with HIPAA requirements by protecting the confidentiality of Protected Health Information, accessing only that information that is required to perform his/her job, and by discussing PHI only with others within the Summit who have a legitimate business reason to access the information.
I acknowledge that I have received and read the Summit description for Nurse Assistant (revised February 2015), and that I fully understand its provisions. I also understand that the policies and requirements contained in this job description are subject to change at the discretion of the physician owners, and that this job description is not intended to be, nor deemed to constitute, an employment contract or a promise of continued employment.